Saturday, May 5, 2012

How do I teach a toddler SELF DEFENSE???



04/30/12

Danny had his first fight at school with a boy that wanted the same toy he was playing with.  Danny never hits and we have always taught him to be nice, to speak kind, to say thank you and please, and to never be aggressive.  The other kid just started scratching Danny's face like a wild cat because Danny would no give in and give him the toy he was using.  We were a little shock when we first saw Danny, he couldn't even make eye contact with me, it was like he felt ashamed or embarrassed.. It was really sad.  My first reaction towards was, ok the most important thing is to make him feel better and I have to talk to his teacher so that she can talk to this kid's mom.  I wasn't too upset, I was more concentrated on making Danny feel better.  I work as a Spanish teacher and I know that things happen and I knew one day he would have his first little fight, I didn't expect it to be this soon but it happened and now the next step is to teach Danny what to do when things like this happens.  So.. after teaching a child for almost 4 years to never ever be aggressive how do you teach him that depending on the situation it is OK to defend/hit ?????  This lets me know that Danny is growing up and now we need to have different kinds of "serious" talks.  But this is all part of parenting and figuring out what is the best thing for our child and I wouldn't change it for anything.  I love being a MOM. 

Ps: I took these pictures with my phone (very low quality).  After I gave Danny a bath he helped me make a cake and he wanted to put candles on the cake and pretend it was his birthday.  So he turned 450 years old.   Check out his decorating skills!






No comments:

Post a Comment