Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Believe it or not, it brings back good memories of my brother, Mike...


I know that some of you are aware of my obsession with electronics (more specifically, smart phones). I obtained my first one about three years ago and have had one since. I love trying new things on them and exploring their capabilities. What many of you do not know is that there are a couple applications that have allowed me to vivify a particularly special occasion with my brother, Mike. Before the funeral, I went with my Uncles Marty and Greg to dress my brother in his final resting clothes. The experience was... well... it's hard to put into words. It was an opportunity for some closure, an opportunity to pay my last respects to him, an opportunity to see his body one last time. We dressed Mike in a pressed white shirt, navy blue slacks, with black socks, belt, and shoes. Michelle picked out the picture for us to lay in the casket with his body. That picture embodied all of my brother's best qualities ... the love he had for us, the happiness he felt when with family, and best of all, his smile. Vivid is the memory that walks with me almost daily of that experience. As I left the funeral home that day, my uncles and I parted ways to travel home. I was alone. It was hard ... knowing that I had just seen my brother for the last time (for a time, anyway). As I began to drive, I knew that I needed some help focusing so I turned on the radio. I bet your wondering what this has to with phones, aren't you? Well, there were only two songs that I listened to on the radio that day... both of which I probably would have never listened to again had I not had my smart phone. I used an app on my phone to listen to a clip of the songs, and in turn was able to find out the song title and artist. Today, my thanks are to the ever prevalent technology we have in our lives. I listen to these two songs again and again, remembering the beautiful experience of my last time with my brother. Anyway, you can tell where my thoughts have been today, as they are everyday, but today was definitely more pronounced. I have included links to the songs so if you would like to listen to them you may.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWdrO4BoCu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7qJv2zfgo





1 comment:

  1. Daniel, thanks for sharing those two songs with us, I enjoyed listening to them :) You are an outstanding person, father and husband. So happy you're in our family!!! We sure love you!!

    ReplyDelete